Our receptionists will request the reason for your contact with the practice whenever you get in touch, by telephone or face to face.

They are not being nosey! This allows the receptionists to direct you to the best professional to deal with your needs.

We value your co-operation with this.

There are lots of services that can help you if you are unwell. This section gives you information and advice about how and when to use services in the best way.

Community pharmacist:

Your community pharmacist can give you advice or treatment for many minor illnesses such as:

  • Acne
  • Athletes foot
  • Backache
  • Cold Sores
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Constipation
  • Coughs
  • Diarrhoea
  • Dry Eyes
  • Earache
  • Eczema and allergies
  • Haemorrhoids (piles)
  • Headache
  • Indigestion
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Nasal congestion
  • Pain and period pain
  • Sinusitis
  • Sore throat
  • Thrush
  • Warts and verrucas

To find a Community Pharmacy near you, and to see the services they offer visit: www.nhsinform.scot/scotlands-service-directory/pharmacies

Muscle and joint problems

You can self refer to the physiotherapy service directly for muscle and joint problems such as back, neck, hip or knee pain.  This is for routine only and ONE problem only. The self referral form can be accessed below.

Self referral Physio Form



Eye problems

For any eye problem your first port of call should be an optometrist. An optometrist is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions. They have the professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems and will refer you to see a specialist when necessary. This service can be used for any concerns you may have within the health of your eyes including (but not limited to):

  • Red eye(s)
  • Eye infections
  • Other disturbance of eyesight
  • Something in your eye
  • Scratched eye(s)
  • Cataracts
  • Sore eye(s)
  • Deterioration of eyesight

To find an optician near you visit:


Depression, anxiety and mental wellbeing

Mental Health Information Station runs every Thursday from 11am-3pm and is based at ‘A Sense of Some Place’ in the Walpole Hall (next to St Mary’s Cathedral), Palmerston Place, Edinburgh, EH12 5AW. For more information on the service please contact: mentalhealthinformation@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk or call 0131 537 8650

Edspace www.edspace.org.uk

Health in Mind0131 225 8508 or www.health-in-mind.org.uk

Breathing Space - Offers someone to talk to if your feelings are overwhelming you - 0800 83 85 87 – www.breathingspace.scot

Choose Life www.chooselife.net

Samaritans – Can help you understand your problems better, or just be there to listen. It is not just for people who feel suicidal - 116 123

Social Work support

If you need help with carer support, advice about benefits, care at home and help with tasks of daily living, help due to illness or disability or concerns about safety, please contact:

Social care direct – If you need help due to illness, frailty, disability or concerns about safety of anγ€€adult or child at risk of harm - 0131 200 2324

Adult social work - 0131 271 3900

Children and Families social work - 0131 271 3860

Edinburgh Council Carer Support – 0131 536 3371 or
www.edinburgh.gov.uk (search carer support).

Alcohol and drug problems

If you think that you or someone else might have a problem with drugs and alcohol, please contact the South East Recovery Hub on 0131 661 5294 or www.edinburghadp.co.uk.

Stop Smoking


Foot Problems

If you have a foot problem you can go to:

 www.nhsinform.scot/msk and search for "foot injuries".

If you think you need an appointment with Podiatry, you can seek advice online and refer yourself at:

www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk (search on the home page for "podiatry" and click the link for Edinburgh CHP). The self-referral form is linked directly above the paragraph on "Who Can Refer".


Hearing problems

Many high street opticians also offer hearing tests and help with existing hearing aids.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has developed an app that you can use on your mobile phone to test your hearing. For this please search for "hear WHO" or visit:


click here for alternative places for help.


NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website